Google Drive is bringing the document scanner that was just redesigned on Android to the iPhone and iPad for the first time. The update is now rolling out to all Google Workspace customers and users with personal Google Accounts.
Here are some of the key features of the new document scanner:
- Automatic and manual capture: The camera can automatically take the scan, or you can take it manually.
- High-quality scans: The camera helps you position your document for the highest quality scan.
- Back-to-back shots for multi-page documents: The scanner supports back-to-back shots for multi-page documents.
- Preview and editing: You can preview the scan and adjust the boundaries (crop), rotate, and apply filters.
- Machine learning-powered suggestions: Google will use machine learning to suggest a relevant title for your scan.
- Receipt recognition: Google Drive might recognize if it’s a receipt and append a store location.
- Choose where to store your scans: You can choose where to store your scans before uploading them to Google Drive.
How to use the document scanner:
- Open the Google Drive app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap the new camera FAB (floating action button) above the existing “plus” in the bottom-right corner.
- Position your document in the camera viewfinder.
- Tap the capture button to take a scan.
- Review the scan and make any adjustments.
- Tap “Save” to save the scan to Google Drive.
The new document scanner for Google Drive is a welcome addition for iPhone and iPad users. The scanner is easy to use and produces high-quality scans. The machine learning-powered suggestions and receipt recognition are also helpful features.